Built in 1909, the Alpena was a self-unloader that carried freight on the Great Lakes. Owned by the Wyandotte Transportation Company of Michigan, it was later rechristened the Sidney E. Smith Jr. by the Erie Sand Steamship Company and scrapped in 1972.
The Angeline was a 423-foot freighter built in 1899 in Detroit, Mich. She was sold as a floating grain storage facility in 1955 and scrapped in 1965. Here the vessel is making its way on the Milwaukee River under the Wells Street bridge.
This oil-fired, steam-turbine driven cargo vessel was built in 1923 by the Great Lakes Engineering Works in River Rouge, Minn. The Frontenac was 590 feet long. Throughout her 56 years of service, the vessel carried primarily taconite. In this photo she’s caring vintage cars.
Built in Wismar, Germany, in 1997, the Hamburg has a capacity of 418 passengers. It cruises the Great Lakes and makes ports of call in Canada and the United States. It last docked in Milwaukee in 2015 with German-speaking travelers.
The Lucia A. Simpson, built in Manitowoc, Wis., in 1875, was bought by Charles J. Sanderson of Milwaukee, Wis., in 1899 and sold in 1929 to Northern Marine Corp. of Milwaukee. The three-masted schooner burned in Sturgeon Bay, Wis., in 1935.